Sunday, June 3, 2007

Kick off and first day of training.

6/2/07 This summer I have decided to train for an Olympic distance triathlon, which is a .93 mile swim, a 24.8 mile bike and a 6.2 mile run, through Team in Training and raise $3200 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS). I will keep this blog up through my training and the event so that you can all check in from time to time to see how I am doing and leave your comments as well. If you would like to contribute to this cause or would like more information on the LLS, please check out my Team in Training website at http://www.active.com/donate/tntgsf/tntgsfLHolmes

6/2/07 The Kick off meeting for Team in Training was today and I found myself to be very excited about the challenge I was about to partake in. I honestly can't remember that last time I felt such excited anticipation. And yes, I have thought that maybe I have lost my mind. I am excited about punishing my body. But it is more than that. This is an opportunity to make a difference. At the kick off, I met my team mentor, I met the coaches and personal trainers I will be working with and most importantly, I met the honorees. Honorees are the people we are doing this for. Real people who have or had the diseases we are working to find a cure for. Hearing their stories of hope, courage, strength and survival put everything in perspective for me. I hope you will all follow and support me as I make my way through this incredible journey.

6/3/07 Today was out first Team workout. I got all my gear together and dusted off my bike for our bike ride. I wasn't able to obtain a road bike for this workout, so I rode on my mountain bike. It has been at least a year since I rode a bike, maybe longer. I expected an easy ride. The course picked for our first ride was relatively flat with a few small hills. Easy, I thought. I've done leisure rides like this hundreds of times...well, I'm embarrassed to admit the ride kick my @#*. I walked my bike twice, though neither time was more than 20 feet. I just needed to get off the seat. The legs burning was hard too, but I was determined to pedal through it.

Being on the mountain bike did slow me down, but I think I would have been slow on a road bike too, but the mentors and coaches were great, coming back to check on me, riding along with me and keeping me going. I have to say, I wasn't exactly enjoying the ride while I was on the bike, but when I was done, I felt great.

1 Comments:

At November 11, 2008 at 10:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home