Still Going
It has been about two weeks since my last post, so I guess I've got some catching up to do. I did finally get my road bike and it has made a huge difference in my performance. I am faster and going three times as far. The hills are easier as well. My first time out on the bike I did have some troubles with the gears, but got some instruction in and did better. I did take one spill on the bike, a little blood and a few bruises, but nothing serious. I was more upset that I managed to snag my brand new bike shirt during the fall.We had an Honoree picnic a week ago and that was a great experience. An Honoree is a person who has or had blood cancer. Hearing their stories was inspirational. Quit is not a word in their vocabulary. Their lives are about making every minute count. They opened up about their most frightening, most painful, most meaningful and most encouraging moments and we cried and we laughed with them.
One message that they all shared was one of thanks. they were thanking us for giving up our weekends and being out there raising awareness and raising funds for research that will one day provide a cure. It was a very touching experience and one that I was proud to be a part of.
Overall, I have been doing okay with the workouts. I still have issues with the shin splints and may have to do water running until that resolves. I will find out this week if that will be necessary. I did get orthotics and a Yoga for Runners workout tape. These should help with the and prevent shin splints in the future. I tried the yoga today. I had Wayne do it with me. We both made a good effort, but there is definitely room for improvement.
Yesterday I made a critical error in my hydration and nutritional needs prior to my workout and crashed halfway through. I just became very fatigued and was seeing spots. The coach stayed with me until made it back to our starting point. He kept asking if I wanted him to phone for the car to take me back. I didn't want to quit though and told him I could make it back if I walked. He kept telling me there was no shame and that it was good that I had this experience now rather than later and that it is a good learning experience. I still felt like I failed the workout, but I do see his point. He gave me a lot of valuable information and tips on the way back on nutrition and staying hydrated. so it wasn't all for nothing.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home